Monday, December 14, 2015

When it Comes Right Down to It...'There's No Place Like Home"

Sorry there are no pictures for this post,  I wish I had thought to take one but I was in a zombie-like condition at the time and it didn't occur to me to snap a picture of a computer screen!  Everyday I thank my Father in Heaven for the blessings of technology.  I am NO EXPERT by any means, but I am utterly amazed how the world can be reduced to such a small place with the click of a 'mouse'.  At two am Sunday morning, we were setting on our couch in Santa hats watching our family in Utah have a Christmas Party at our home.  At first we just loved spying on them like a 'fly on a wall' through a home security camera we had installed before we left.  From the position of that camera, we can see both the living room /dining room including the front door,  the kitchen and small family room on the other side.  We watched silently as our children were preparing for the party and then as everyone arrived and was greeted with a warm welcome, and a hug.  The grand kids hit the floor running after entering the front door excited to see all the cousins and get in on the fun.  Even through the blur of sleep deprivation, I was so moved to be able to be a 'casual outside' observer of my family and I have to say... I was pretty dang impressed!!  The love they have for each other came through over the Internet connection and brought the Christmas spirit with it.  Later (about 3 am), we were 'officially' invited to attend through 'face time' to watch the grand children act out the Nativity, families exchange gifts to each other and see the grandchildren open their presents from us that we had left at home for them. Seeing the little ones do the Nativity was an unexpected bonus...a tradition I cherish.  It may have only been December 12th but it felt like Christmas to me.  I LOVE to watch others open and enjoy gifts I have given them....it is one of the things I look forward to all year long.  What a blessing that was to me...a tender mercy as we are away from our loved ones at this time of year.  The spirit of the Christmas season is all about LOVE and family.  The Savior first loved us and as a gift to Him we show our Love to Him by our love and service to others, including our family.  I know there was a 'special' act of service that my family all participated in this year and that only helps to strengthen the bonds that tie us all together.  I pray that The Gift of The Savior will fill our hearts with His Love for our families, our neighbors and all of His children.  Thanks kids for sharing the craziness, noise and joy of the holidays with us.....Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Jami said...

i got all teary-eyed sitting behind Ryan with the ipad, while you guys watched the nativity. Technology is such a blessing!!!! What a fun night we had...you were missed but we were so grateful to really have you there in spirit...and screen!!! we do have a pretty wonderful family, thanks to you guys! xo