Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Precious P-days

Everything basically shuts down here between Christmas and New Years day so we decided to take and extra 'P' day and take a little sight seeing trip.  We drove to the southern tip of Portugal in the  Algarve district.  It is a 3 hour drive and we stayed two nights in the city of Albufeira on the coastline. We explored from there and saw some breathtaking beaches...the water temperature and weather left the beaches pretty much abandoned which was great for us as we had no intention of getting wet anyway!  This trip was a needed break from our 3 room apartment when we had so much time on our hands...and we saw some beautiful and amazing views.



This is the view from our window.  From here is a short walk to the beach and "old town" with it's little shops and narrow streets.











Just look at the color of that water!!!

 This is the height of the cliffs in this area...sometimes even higher!  And all  along the coastline there were men fishing.  They would climb out and stand on very scary ledges and then throw their lines into the sea so far below.  I swear it looked like if something BIG grabbed hold of their bate they would be pulled to their death with little help of holding on to anything.  I'm sure I would fall into the ocean just from lack of balance on the little outcroppings some of them chose to stand on.  It was amazing to see so many of them as we walked around about a 2 mile pathway.




This is the puny little fish they were risking their lives to catch???  Unbelievable!!





3 comments:

Jami said...

Ok these pictures are making me homesick for Portugal!! Is that even possible when I've never been there?! The coastline and beaches are absolutely gorgeous! I think I was meant to live near the ocean... maybe Brett and I need to discuss this! haha! How cool to have the opportunity to travel a bit while you're there! We love you!

Unknown said...

What?! Are those pictures even real?!! Gorgeous !! The color of the water. ?? What. So fun for u guys to do that and see such a beautiful area of the world. I would never in my life stand near an edge like that. Never in my life. They are cookoo

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful! I bet it was a nice trip. You couldn't pay me enough to be on that cliff fishing!